Jamestown Public Schools is gearing up to welcome back students for another great year. The 2019-20 school year begins on Thursday, September 5th for kindergarten through 12th grades and is an early dismissal at 11:30 a.m. for all schools. The first full day of classes is Friday, September 6th. The first day of classes for UPK students will be Friday, September 6th. All JPS main offices are now open for business.
There are many new things coming up at Jamestown Schools for the 2019-20 school year including:
- new district goals that will seek community involvement including: eSports, cultural responsiveness, elementary transportation to help student attendance, JHS modernization and secondary pathways;
- technology upgrades of desktop and laptop computers, including over 800 iPads for 1:1 program at middle schools and replacements in other buildings;
new computer monitors in all school cafeterias to display menus, nutritional information and school events;
- a focus on serving more locally-grown food items from New York State in our cafeterias including NYS grape juice with grapes grown in Chautauqua County;
- new buses equipped with collision mitigation and electronic stability control as standard equipment;
- implementation of new guided math and updated training in guided reading for JPS teachers
Elementary school start time is 8:20 a.m. The first full day for kindergarten through fourth grade students will be Friday, September 6th with dismissal time at 3:00 p.m.
Middle school doors will open to students at 8:25 a.m. Homeroom begins at 8:30 a.m. Middle school students will report for a full day of school on Friday, September 6th. The student day will end at 3:05 p.m.
Jamestown High School students should report to their homerooms on September 5th, by 8:00 a.m. Students who did not receive a homeroom assignment can call the School Counseling Office at 483-4358, email Counseling Secretary, Kelly Madden at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the homeroom lists posted around JHS on the first day. JHS students will report for a full day of classes on September 6th with a modified schedule to accommodate class meetings. School will be dismissed at 3:00 p.m. beginning on September 6th.
All after school programming will begin on Friday, September 6th. The breakfast program will begin at all buildings on the first day of school, Thursday, September 5th. The lunch program at all schools will begin on Friday, September 6th. There will be no charge for breakfast and lunch at all schools. To opt-out of the Free Breakfast and Lunch Program, please contact the Food Service office at 483-4398. School menus are available on the Jamestown Public Schools website (www.jpsny.org) under “School Menus” on the home page.
District bus service will also begin on Thursday, September 5th. All students currently scheduled for bus transportation will receive a postcard detailing the pick-up and drop-off times and location.
To keep up-to-date on Jamestown Public Schools activities, please visit us at www.jpsny.org, follow us on Facebook @JamestownPublicSchools or Twitter @JamestownSchool.