We teach our standards through 4 modules that cover the length of the school year. Each module uses both a novel and other supplementary material as the basis for the lessons. The novels your child will work with while learning the standards this year are:
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (Rick Riordan)
- Bud, Not Buddy (Christopher Paul Curtis)
- Dragonwings (Laurence Yep)
- Frightful's Mountain (Jean Craighead George)
The 6th grade math curriculum is divided into 6 modules. During each module, your child will have a few assessments including both quizzes and mid and end of module tests.
1. Ratios and Rates
2. Arithmetic Operations (add, sub, mult, and div fractions and decimals)
3. Rational Numbers
4. Expressions and Equations
5. Geometry (area, surface area, and volume)
Sixth graders spend their time learning about ancient civilizations from the eastern hemisphere. Areas of focus include: Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, and China. We will also examine various religions from those regions.
For the 19-20 school year, the district will be using new science materials from Amplify. Hands-on activities are built into the program.