English Language Arts
The Jamestown Public Schools English Language Arts Department contributes to grades pre-kindergarten through high school curriculum.
The Jamestown English Language Arts Program is aligned with the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards. The standards represent an integrated literacy model organized into four overlapping strands: Reading, Writing, Language, and Speaking and Listening.
In accordance with the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards, our program is based on the following beliefs:
- English language arts learners must be exposed to regular and varied opportunities to read.
- Students should read, write, listen, and speak on a daily basis.
- Teachers in all content areas share responsibility for the development of reading, writing, listening, and speaking competencies.
- Language arts development is recursive across the continuum, from pre-kindergarten through grade 12.
- All students are able to achieve competency in the presence of skilled instruction, adequate time for learning, varied and/or specialized resources, and additional support as needed.
- Access to technology enhances the development of critical literacy competencies.
- Skills are developed, revisited, and reinforced with increasing complexity in accordance with grade-level expectations.
- Students should be active learners, responsible for, and knowledgeable about their own learning.
Click here for the New York State Next Generation English Language Arts Learning Standards