What is Social Emotional Learnig?
- Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process of developing and using the skills, attitudes, and knowledge that help youth and adults (Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning [CASEL], 2013):
- § To identify and regulate emotions
- § To develop positive relationships
- § To make responsible decisions
- SEL is a universal approach:
- § It helps build the foundation for
teaching and learning at schools.
What is SEL Development?
- Social-emotional development includes the child's experience, expression, and management of emotions and the ability to establish positive and rewarding relationships with others (Cohen and others 2005). It encompasses both intra- and interpersonal processes.