Health & Safety
School buildings must be safe places in order for students to learn effectively. Safe and healthy schools are not only critical to the education children receive, but also to the teachers and staff who deliver that high-quality education. Students and families will see an increase to health and safety measures put in place to combat the effects of COVID-19. In order to ensure a healthy and safe return to school, we will align our protocols with guidance from state, federal and local agencies.
We understand that physical distancing does not come naturally or easily. Maintaining physical distance violates so many of our social norms, especially for those we are closest with. Due to the pandemic, students will be expected to practice six-feet social distancing from the arrival at schools through departure.
- Because social distancing may not always be possible in school settings, face coverings will be required in all school buildings for employees, visitors and students whenever six-feet social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Students and staff will be provided with reusable masks and expected to wear them while in school where social distancing is not possible and when health exemptions do not apply.
- Scheduled times for mask breaks will be planned in an open area where social distancing of at least six feet can be maintained.
Temperature Checks & Screenings
- Students and staff must do daily temperature checks at home before coming to school and complete a screening questionnaire daily before entering a school building.
- In addition, all students who attend in-person will have non-contact temperature check daily upon arrival at school.
- If a student or staff member exhibits any COVID-19 symptoms or has a temperature of 100F or greater, they must stay home from school.
- All employees and visitors must complete a COVID-19 daily screening questionnaire prior to entering school buildings. Copies of the screening questionnaire will be available at each school for visitors and on-line for employees to complete prior to entering schools.
Additional Hand Sanitizing Stations & Handwashing Opportunities
- All schools will be outfitted with additional hand sanitizing stations that will be readily accessible at school entrances and common areas
- Frequent hand washing breaks will occur throughout the day and at specific times, such as before and after meals, to ensure that everyone is contributing to a healthy environment.
Cleaning & Disinfecting of Schools Per CDC Guidelines
- We have implemented recommended cleaning and disinfecting protocols to ensure that we maintain a safe environment for our staff, students and visitors.
- We will follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control to implement effective disinfection procedures that will help limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Occupied areas of school buildings will be cleaned daily and disinfected periodically as needed.
- High-touch areas will be cleaned continuously throughout the day and disinfected each evening.
- A cleaning log will be posted in each of the spaces utilized, showing the date and time of the cleaning and disinfecting operations.
- Sharing of supplies and materials will be kept to a minimum. Any materials that must be shared must be cleaned and disinfected before and after use.